If you’ re driving on British roads you can’t help but notice new cameras installed lately on major highways, this cameras are yellow and they are quiet smaller compared to the normal speed cameras: see picture below.
These cameras are average speed cameras planted by the police to monitor drivers speeds on Britain’s roads covering more than 250 miles on British roads 24 hours a day and seven days a week.
Average speed camera’s doesn’t operate like the normal speed cameras; these cameras are more technical and advanced. For example you won’t see a flash if you exceed the designated speed limit unlike the regular speed camera. What these means for motorists is that you can be easily caught unaware and before you realize you will have a speed fine waiting for you at home.
To avoid been caught here’s how average speed cameras work – and how you can avoid being caught speeding.
- The multiple cameras (at least two) are set at separate locations along a stretch of road (at a minimum 200m apart) and are synchronised to record the exact time that each car passes using number plate reading technology
- The cameras record the time you pass them then a computer will work out the average speed between the cameras to determine if the car was over the speed limit.
- These cameras are fitted with infrared illuminators to ensure they work night and day, and in all weathers.
- Unlike some other speed cameras, average speed camera will never run out of film because all the information captured is saved to a computer.
- The cameras are equipped to capture all types of vehicles including motor bikes
- You cannot be fined if you pass more than two sets of average speed cameras in a sequence while you are over the speed limit because only certain cameras in the sequence are usually paired.
- These cameras are more accurate which means you can get a fine if you have exceeded the speed limit, even if it is only by 1mph.
It has been commonly assumed by many drivers over the years that you will not get a ticket as long as your speed doesn’t exceed the limit by more than 10 percent but with this newly installed average speed cameras you can easily get into trouble for driving above the speed limit so the only way to be sure that you don’t get a ticket from average speed cameras is to drive without speeding. Please leave a comment if you find this article useful.